2014/02/12

The Postal Museum


The Story of the Post Museum
Postal Museum tells the story of Egyptian Bosta of the day it was founded in 1886 and so far the most important stamps issued so far. Museum Avcthoh before the World Conference on E-tenth what Ataml in Cairo in February 1934, the idea of ​​the museum dates back to King Fouad I. The museum's area is 543 square meters and it has more than 1254 exhibits in its ten different sections which are: a historical section, a section for postal equipment, a third for stamps, a fourth for postal buildings, a fifth for transport, a sixth for costumes, a seventh for maps and statistics, an eighth for air mail, a ninth for conferences and lastly the tenth for foreign mail. Postal services flourished in Egypt since the Pharaonic Old and Middle kingdoms and have been a paradigm of precision .

 The Postal Museum

 The Postal Museum


 The Postal Museum


  The Postal Museum

Postal Services in the Pharaonic Age:

Pharaonic inscriptions on monuments indicate that there was kings and rulers of neighboring countries with whom Egypt maintained political and trade relations.

The first document indicating the use of post dates back to 2000 years BC. It is a will sent by a scribe to his son emphasizing the importance of writing and the bright future of a scribe in government posts.


  • The group of messages found in Tel Al A'marna in northern Upper Egypt which were in cuneiform writing are the oldest. They are a record of political correspondence conveyed by Aminophis (1364 BC) from Thebes to "Akhotaton" (Al A'marna) the new capital. These types of clay letters were also exchanged between Aminophis III and IV (1405-1352BC), and between Pharoahs and Hittite, Assyrian, Babylonian and Sicilian kings.
  • Most probably, mail during Pharaonic ages was distributed by pedestrian postmen who traveled along the banks of the Nile and followed the paths of caravans and armies when conveying messages abroad.

Roman and Ptolemic Post

  • Historians agree that Persians were the first to adopt a postal system in their country. That system was developed by the Ptolemies who had two categories:
  • Express post: which carried the letters of kings, ministers and top officials by men on horseback.
  • Ordinary post: for carrying letters of government employees and ordinary people by pedestrian postmen and beasts of burden


This system was adopted in Egypt through the Roman era and the early days of the Islamic era.





Postal Services from the Arab conquest till the modern age

The Caliphate Mo'awia Bin Abi Sufian is said to be the first to introduce a postal system during Islamic rule. Messages were carried by horses which were changed at designated stops equally apart. This was called "express post". Ordinary post was carried by camels through the same stops where there were government servants whose job was to prepare fresh animals for the next leg.

The most important mail line in Egypt was the one linking Lower Egypt to Syria. When Egypt became independent from the Caliphate rule, the new rulers abolished the postal system of the Caliphs and established a special system in which pedestrian postmen carried mail.

  • Postal services were carried out by the tax collecting office and the person change was called "Al Dowidar" or the " Prince of the Mail". He had an assistant called "Katib Al Sir" who distributed the mail personally. The postmen carried a brass badge about the size of one's palm engraved on one side, "There is no god but Allah and Mohammed is His Prophet". The other side of the badge has these words: "His Majesty the Sultan, King of the World, Sultan of Islam and Muslims, The Son of the Martyr Sultan." This brass badge was attached to a scarf round the postman's neck to distinguish him as such.


Khedive Ismail (1863-1879), the ruler of Egypt, was convinced that the postal service is a public utility that should be carried out only by the government. Thus he negotiated the purchase of the private European post company which he bought on October 29,1864. The government started work at this new administration on January 1,1865 which is the birth date of the Egyptian Post Department. All foreign seals were replaced by others bearing the Egyptian Postal Department name. The department continued to have its headquarters in the city of Alexandria because of the city's trade activities. In January 1866 the first group of Egyptian stamps were printed in seven categories in Genoa, Italy, for the Egyptian government .

The Post Department was affiliated to the Ministry of Finance in 1865. In 1875 it was transferred to the Ministry of Justice and a special building was established for it in 1882 in Alexandria. In 1865, due to the expansion of trade between Egypt and the world, a navigation line (The Khedive Company) was established to transport goods and correspondence to Mediterranean and Red Sea ports. Khedive Ismail opened post offices to serve merchants' transactions.

Egyptian post offices were opened in:
  • Countries east of the Mediterranean Sea.
  • Countries bordering the Red Sea.
  • In Sudan.

In 1919, a new administration for communications was established during king Fouad's reign (1917-1935) comprising railways, telephone, telegram and postal services in addition to roads and bridges. In 1931 the Postal Department was transferred to Cairo at its present location at A1-Ataba Square, which is one of the oldest in Cairo.






The Story of the Post Museum

  • The museum was established in February 1934.
  • It was opened for the public in January 1940.

The Post Authority developed and expanded the museum into a vivid record of the development of postal service in Egypt over the years.



The museum is located at Al-Ataba Square in Central Cairo. Its area is 543 square meters and it has more than 1254 exhibits in its ten different sections which are: a historical section, a section for postal equipment, a third for stamps, a fourth for postal buildings, a fifth for transport, a sixth for costumes, a seventh for maps and statistics, an eighth for air mail, a ninth for conferences and lastly the tenth for foreign mail.



Pictures Museum:



 
























 





El Alamein

 
The Al-Alamein  Museum

 
The Al-Alamein  Museum is located 105 kilometers west of Alexandria and about five kilometers west of the Marina resort. It is placed within the military areas of El Alumni. The museum was opened in the year 1956 during the presidency of Gamal Abdel Nasser as a memorial of the The Battle of Al-Alamein between the British and the Germans in 1942 and the battles that took place in South Africa during the Second World War. The Al-Alemein War Museum was renewed and reopened in 1992 during the presidency of Mubarak. The museum is one of the best place to visit in order to achieve an understanding of Story of World War II in Egypt.

The Al-Alemein Museum is a complete illustration of the story of World War II in North Africa, containing records of all the events. Even before entering the Museum proper, in the garden are huge army tanks and various larger weapons. A visitor can view this heavy equipment from World War II, go inside a tank or an army car, or even jump up and sit atop a tank. The garden has about fifteen large pieces used by different forces in the Battle of Al-Alemein.

El Alamein

El Alamein

Inside the museum there are five halls. Each of them is dedicated to one of the four countries involved in the war, which include Great Britain, Italy, Germany, and Egypt. The museum also has a mixed hall that contains items from the war generally.

El AlameinEl AlameinEl Alamein



The Egyptian Hall

The Egyptian hall shows how Egypt helped the allies during the war. There are statues of Egyptian soldiers who helped the British troops in the war. A large statue of king Farouk is on display as he was the ruler of Egypt at the time. He was always criticized for his lavish life as he expended a lot of money on his personal pleasure without considering the people of Egypt and their sufferings during the war. The left wall of the hall is covered with a large portrait that shows a part of the Al-Alemein battle and how the Germans were defeated. The other walls are covered with photographed and painted pictures illustrating the help of the Egyptians to the Allies in the War.

The British Hall

The hall mainly concentrates on the British troops and how they were able to defeat the Italians and then the Germans in North Africa. Uniforms of the British army during World War II are on display with different statues of soldiers doing different activities in the war time. The British role and their strategy during the war are on displayed in the form of stories and maps shown on the wall. The weapons the British used are displayed in this hall as well. However, calling this the British Hall is a bit misleading, as their efforts were much aided by those of the Australians. Hence, it is more of a commonwealth hall.

The Italian Hall

The Italian Hall contains, just like the other halls, some statues of Italian soldiers wearing their uniform and participating in the war. Some pictures are displayed on the walls to show how the Italians suffered from the defeat in North Africa.

The German Hall

The German Hall displays the role of the German army in the battle of El Alamin and in the other battles of North Africa during World War ll. Many different German weapons are displayed in this hall as well. Pictures of Rommel and Hitler are shown on the walls beside notes that show why the Germans lost the battle.at Al Alemein.

The Mixed Hall

The most interesting hall of the museum in the Museum is the Mixed Hall, because it shows items from all the sides involved in the war. Small models in the middle of the hall demonstrate the important battles between the British and the Italian in the beginning, and the British and the German afterwards. The hall has one part that tells the history of each country and why they were involved in the war. Real photographed pictures of the battle are shown on the walls with information and statistics about each participant.
This museum is a must see for any weapons or history fan. It tells the story of one of the most important battles during World War ll, and it was built in the exact place where the battle took place.

Photos from the museum: